Opal Coast Cultural School Trips & Tours
Provide your group with a real taste of life in France. The Opal Coast is easily accessible and close to channel ports, whilst offering fantastic visits which will introduce your pupils to a new culture, and fascinate them with an environment so different to their own!
If you’re seeking to challenge and inspire your group in the practical application of French language skills, our French Language Enrichment Experience can be included in your cultural school trip too. The Opal Coast is a fantastic location to develop your group’s French vocabulary, get a real taste of France, and learn about French life. Your group can visit traditional boulangeries, small farms producing local delicacies, and even a theme park!
Price Shown includes
- 1 night’s full board accommodation staying at NST’s Château d’Ebblinghem
- Executive coach transport from and to your school and throughout your stay
- Services of your own Group Co-ordinator (Groupie)
- Organised evening activities
- Extensive group travel insurance
- 1 in 8 free place ratio
Price shown is based on 40 paying passengers departing from selected departure points in November 2020 and is subject to availability.
On-tour support includes...
- Your dedicated Group Co-ordinator, if staying at NST’s Château d’Ebblinghem, will ensure the smooth-running of your school tour, acting as all-round support for your group.
French Language Enrichment Experience at NST’s Château d’Ebblinghem
Exclusive to NST
Our French Language Enrichment Experience has been designed to develop conversational and comprehension skills through a range of exciting target language-focused excursions and activities with an emphasis on enrichment experiences.
Throughout your tour, pupils will have daily interactions with French speakers to help build their confidence when communicating in a variety of social situations. No matter what your group’s age or ability, your experience can be pitched at exactly the right level to enrich their learning and enable your pupils to engage with the target language.
With the support of your own French-speaking Groupie at NST’s Château d’Ebblinghem, your pupils will be encouraged to use their language skills at all times, for example, during morning language briefings, mealtimes and evening activities.
Your Groupie will liaise with you on arrival to confirm your group’s language requirements, to support differentiated learning styles and to ensure that your trip is meeting your needs. Then put your learning into practice by interacting with native French speakers on a series of local visits!
Find out more about our French Language Enrichment Experience.
St Joseph’s Village
Give your pupils an insight into 19th & 20th century French Life in this re-created French Village. They’ll develop their French vocabulary as they enter the specially constructed windmill, school, bakers shop, garage, and the chapel, all complete with the equipment of a bygone age.
This port town provides several cultural experiences located close together.
- Take a guided tour of the town and practise your language skills with the local French guide.
- Explore the Roman old town, spending time in its shops and cafés and practising language skills.
- Pupils can also compare French life past and present.
- Local market days are Wednesday and Saturday. Pupils can interact with traders, build language confidence and pick up a bargain or two.
Nausicaá Sea Centre
Nausicaá promises you an unforgettable voyage to the heart of the Ocean! Discover the 1,600 species who call the Aquarium home. A visit here will convince you that the Ocean is not only a wondrous and rich resource; it is also the future of Mankind. This fascinating sea centre promotes learning through interactive exhibits. Groups can explore two amazing worlds: "Journey on the High Seas" and "Mankind and Shores".
Nausicaa offer 1 hour educational workshops which will really bring your Geography trip to life. The workshops currently available are:
Zoom into Marine Life - Observe tiny fauna magnified thousands of times on a wide screen and discover the importance of a good water quality for survival of the species.
Calculate your ecological footprint - Thanks to a 20 question quiz, discover your ecological footprint and your impact on climate change!
Zoom into marine biodiversity - At the lab, pupils will observe tiny marine animals through microscopes. They will discover shared characteristics according to the classification of living beings.
Sharks! Not even scared! - Let’s discover the shark and its importance in the Ocean. Learn more about this fascinating animal and look at it differently.
Local Goat Farm
Gain an insight into French farming and cheese making. There are also opportunities for cheese tasting and, at certain times of the year, to help milk the goats.
Les Chocolats de Beussent
Learn about the industry of chocolate making and combine the demonstrations of melting, moulding and coating with worksheets, a guided tour of the workshop (in English or French), and the chance to enjoy tasting samples!
At this traditional boulangerie only French is spoken. Your pupils will learn new phrases as they see the making and baking of bread, brioche and papin pies, before leaving with a fresh croissant or pain au chocolat.
Get a real taste of France! At a working snail farm, your group will learn how one of France’s most famous foods is reared. Then sit back and see which of your pupils will be first to sample one for themselves.
Local Boulangerie Visit
There are a number of boulangeries in the region where your pupils will watch and listen to the baker describe, in French, the process of making traditional French bread and croissants, before getting the chance to produce and eat their own.
Becasuc Sweet Factory
Take a tour of the sweet factory located in Boulogne-sur-Mer, where pupils will learn from the French commentary, demonstrations and be able to taste the delicious sweets produced.
Follow trail instructions and answer questions in French in this informative way to explore the town. NST’s exclusive trails are an excellent method of getting pupils to read, repeat and understand French words and phrases. Town trails are available in:
- St Omer
‘Talk French’ with Hannah France
NST has joined forces with Hannah France, an MFL teacher now living on the Opal Coast. Hannah can create bespoke language lessons for your pupils including speaking and listening sessions to prepare them for key visits in your itinerary such as the chocolate factory or boulangerie. Hannah will then support the group at their visit, coaching pupils to approach and interact with staff. Hannah can work with groups up to A-level standard and can offer many learning activities including a town trail around the charming walled town of Montreuil-sur-Mer with opportunities for pupils to interact with locals.
Home to over 5,000m² of wave pools and water slides that will keep your pupils active whilst they’re away.
Bellewaerde Theme Park
Spend a day at this fantastic theme park, home to a wonderful mix of rollercoasters, shows, animals and water features.
Natur’Pom Cider Farm
Visit the organic orchards at this cider farm and learn about the ecosystem of the farm, the cycle of the plant and organic production. Visits can be adapted to the age of pupils and there is an on-site shop for tasty souvenirs!
Le Touquet sits at the estuary of the River Canche and is the perfect location for Tourism Studies. Observe and describe key sites and locations, and gather information to produce a sightseeing guide. Le Parc de l’Estuaire also offers the opportunity to study the natural sand dune and woodland ecosystems of this area.
This shop in Calais makes delicious chocolates daily, and also offers demonstrations and workshops on the chocolate-making process and its history.
See 5000 years of art history at the Louvre-Lens museum. Explore the museum’s exhibitions and discover masterpieces and sculptures in this beautiful art museum.
Activities & enrichment week trip ideas
Food Lovers Week
The Opal Coast is a fantastic location to get a real taste of France. On this four-day fun-filled food fest, your pupils will have the opportunity to experience traditional dishes, go shopping at the local markets, and put their cooking skills to the test! You’ll also have your own Group Co-ordinator organising fun evening activities to keep everyone entertained.
• Take a visit to a Local Boulangerie where your pupils will watch and learn the process of making traditional French bread and croissants, before getting the chance to produce and eat their own.
• Experience a French market and try out some language skills whilst buying food - return to the château to make their dishes. Other activities at the château include making traditional tarte au sucre, crêpe making and dégustation de fromage.
• Did you know the waffle is one of the oldest biscuits in the world? Take a delicious and educational waffle factory tour, which ends with a tasting of course.
• Gain an insight into French farming and cheese making at a local goat farm. There is also opportunity for cheese tasting and, at certain times of the year, to help milk the goats.
• Take a tour of the Becasuc sweet factory where your pupils will be able to taste the delicious sweets produced there.
• Get a real taste of France! At a working snail farm, L’Escargotière - Learn how one of France’s most famous foods is reared. Then sit back and see which of your pupils will be first to sample one for themselves.
• Visit P&J Chocolates for an introduction on the history of chocolate, with a movie and a quiz, plus a demonstration of chocolate praline, chocolate tasting and an interactive workshop where each pupil makes his/her own chocolate creation.
Challenge, inspire and engage your pupils with a four-day French Language trip to Northern France. Your pupils will participate in traditional French activities and enjoy an array of cultural visits on the Opal Coast, where they’ll have the opportunity to interact with native speakers and practise their language skills. Challenge them to keep a diary of their experiences in French - using our FREE exclusive Go Explore journal.
• Join in the French language Enrichment Experience at the Château - Your group will be assigned a French speaking Group Co-ordinator to encourage your pupils to engage with the French language throughout the day, especially when using high frequency phrases and questions.
• Take your group out on a fun town treasure trail followed by a visit to a working snail farm, L’Escargotière.
• Visit a local traditional boulangerie where only French is spoken. Your pupils will learn new phrases as they see the making and baking of bread, brioche and papin pies, before leaving with a fresh croissant or pain au chocolat.
• French quiz night hosted by your own Group Co-ordinator.
• Take part in crêpe making, traditional tarte au sucre and cheese tasting.
• Spend the day at Bellewaerde Theme Park with its numerous rides and attractions – there will also be a brand new indoor Aqua park which is due to open in Spring 2019.
- WWI experiences (including trying on replica wartime uniforms and making traditional ‘army biscuits’ at NST's Château d'Ebblinghem
- Viewing WWI artefacts (examples of items include whistles, replica medals, drill rounds, regimental cap badges and button sticks) at NST's château
- Organised evening activities at the château (including a French night, snail tasting, making traditional tarte au sucre, mini Olympics, a disco or karaoke, Superhero Challenge, NST’s Got Talent, boules...and much more!)
- Excellent recreational facilities at the château (including a games room, a shop, two football pitches, volleyball area and four hectacres of private grounds
- Most other hotels can provide a room for groups to use in the evening for quizzes or discos
Available from any location in the UK, our executive coaches are fitted with seatbelts, toilet facilities, air conditioning, DVD and reclining seats.
Giving you full support throughout
Before your tour
- Your own dedicated NST contact
- Bespoke tour itineraries
- Unrivalled local knowledge & expertise
- Curriculum linked visit programmes
- Great value for money - no hidden costs
- Free group leader inspection visits
- Risk assessment guidance
- Safety assured, transport, accommodation and visits
Whilst you're away
- Free educational resources
- Group-friendly accommodation
- Exceptional standards of coaching
- On-tour support from our reps on the ground
- Support & assistance from our specialists guides throughout your tour
- 24/7 support just a call away
- Extensive group travel insurance
On your return
- Priority rebooking services
- Rewarding your loyalty with our reward scheme
- You say, we listen - we're committed to continuously improving our tours
- School travel company of choice since 1967
on European trips
Enjoy our loyalty reward
Save £5pp from your first consecutive year of travel onwards. Click here for more information.
Latest Château Prices
View our great value offers for the last remaining dates for spring & summer term trips!