Geography School Trips & Tours to the Opal Coast
Just a short hop across the English Channel, the dramatic white cliffs and golden beaches of the Opal Coast region of Northern France provide the perfect backdrop for outdoor teaching on a geography school trip to remember.
Here, a range of different geography visits can all be found in close proximity. Use our Educational Resource Pack to enhance a range of curriculum study themes, whilst developing geography fieldwork skills and techniques - a great base on which to build at GCSE. You can also add a Subject Expert to ensure that your students get the best learning experience from their trip.
In the Opal Coast region there is plenty of French character to add even more appeal to a geography tour abroad too. Our range of geography visits offer cross-curricular opportunities as well as fully resourced geographical study using excellent support materials. Similally, our assortment of French school trips give pupils a fantastic opportunity to experience a culture and language.
Price Shown includes
- 2 nights’ full-board accommodation at NST's Château d'Ebblinghem
- Services of your own Group Co-ordinator (Groupie)
- Organised evening activities
- Executive coach to and from school & throughout your stay
- 1 in 8 free place ratio
- Extensive group travel insurance
Price shown is based on 40 paying passengers from selected departure points in February 2023 and is subject to availability.
Get even more from your trip with an NST Subject Expert from only £35pp.
On-tour support includes...
- Your dedicated Group Co-ordinator, if staying at NST’s Château d’Ebblinghem, will ensure the smooth-running of your school tour, acting as all-round support for your group.
Top visits for geography trips on the Opal Coast
Cap Blanc Nez & Cap Griz Nez
Fully supportive case study material (including maps, photos, field sketches, info sheets and pupil activities) is available to undertake on site. The dramatic chalk cliffs of Cap Blanc Nez and limestone scenery of Cap Gris Nez contrast with the sand dune environment and coastal spit at the Estuary of the River Slack.
This visit provides an excellent introduction to coastal ecosystems and processes such as long shore drift and dune formation, as well as coastal erosion and management.
A textbook perfect river study! Many sites are easily accessible from the source to the mouth and studies can be carried out safely. Your pupils will gain an insight into the changing characteristics of a river with distance downstream by undertaking field sketching at regular intervals. Groups are provided with data recording sheets, plus information about the river.
Le Touquet sits at the estuary of the River Canche and is the perfect location for Tourism Studies. Observe and describe key sites and locations, and gather information to produce a sightseeing guide. Le Parc de l’Estuaire also offers the opportunity to study the natural sand dune and woodland ecosystems of this area.
Nausicaá Sea Centre
Nausicaá promises you an unforgettable voyage to the heart of the Ocean! Discover the 1,600 species who call the Aquarium home. A visit here will convince you that the Ocean is not only a wondrous and rich resource; it is also the future of Mankind. This fascinating sea centre promotes learning through interactive exhibits. Groups can explore three amazing worlds: "Journey on the High Seas," "Mankind and Shores" and "Ocean and Climate."
Nausicaa offer 1 hour educational workshops which will really bring your trip to life. The workshops currently available are:
Zoom into Marine Life - Observe tiny fauna magnified thousands of times on a wide screen and discover the importance of a good water quality for survival of the species.
Calculate your ecological footprint - Thanks to a 20 question quiz, discover your ecological footprint and your impact on climate change!
Zoom into marine biodiversity - At the lab, pupils will observe tiny marine animals through microscopes. They will discover shared characteristics according to the classification of living beings.
Sharks! Not even scared! - Let’s discover the shark and its importance in the Ocean. Learn more about this fascinating animal and look at it differently.
You can also take a 'backstage tour' of Nausicaa to find out what goes on behind the scenes at the Sea Centre. How was it built? What do the manta rays and the other animals of the big tank eat?
Urban studies in Boulogne offer the opportunity for primary data collection and hypothesis testing with NST’s activity sheets. Pupils will be able to learn new fieldwork skills and techniques.
Widehem Wind Farm
Experience a working example of sustainable energy. Here, your group will get a real idea of the sheer size and power of wind turbines up close.
Les Chocolats de Beussent
Learn about the industry of chocolate making and combine the demonstrations of melting, moulding and coating with worksheets, a guided tour of the workshop (in English or French), and the chance to enjoy tasting samples!
Put pupil map skills to the test by following a trail of clues around the medieval settlement of Montreuil. Fieldwork opportunities include activities focusing on tourism impact and retail patterns.
Bellewaerde Theme Park
Spend a day at this fantastic theme park, home to a wonderful mix of rollercoasters, shows, animals and water features.
The Lighthouse – Le Touquet
If you like adventure, and you’re not afraid of heights, climb the 274 steps to the top of the Lighthouse for fabulous 360 degree views of Le Touquet.
- Organised evening activities at the château (including a French night, snail tasting, making traditional tarte au sucre, mini Olympics, a disco or karaoke, Superhero Challenge, NST’s Got Talent, boules...and much more!)
- Excellent recreational facilities at the château (including a games room, a shop, two football pitches, volleyball area and four hectacres of private grounds
- Most other hotels can provide a room for groups to use in the evening for quizzes or discos
- Cultural diversity
- Retail patterns
- Urban studies
- Map skills
FREE Educational Resource Pack
We understand that you want a study visit that delivers the curriculum. To help you achieve this, our free Opal Coast Educational Resource Pack - developed by experienced geography teachers - contains a wealth of highly relevant information for you to use before, during and after your tour.
Click here to view a sample of our resources.
Available from any location in the UK, our executive coaches are fitted with seatbelts, toilet facilities, air conditioning, DVD and reclining seats.
From the heart of London straight to Paris in 2 hours 15 minutes and Brussels in under 2 hours, plus other Continental destinations too. Eurostar is ideal for small groups.
We can arrange for your group to fly from a range of UK airports and we’ll work with you to plan your route at the best value possible.
Giving you full support throughout
Before your tour
- Your own dedicated NST contact
- Bespoke tour itineraries
- Unrivalled local knowledge & expertise
- Curriculum linked visit programmes
- Great value for money - no hidden costs
- Free group leader inspection visits
- Risk assessment guidance
- Safety assured, transport, accommodation and visits
Whilst you're away
- Free educational resources
- Group-friendly accommodation
- Exceptional standards of coaching
- On-tour support from our reps on the ground
- Support & assistance from our specialists throughout your tour
- 24/7 support just a call away
- Extensive group travel insurance
On your return
- Priority rebooking services
- Rewarding your loyalty with our reward scheme
- You say, we listen - we're committed to continuously improving our tours
- School travel company of choice since 1967