Why choose a LIVE! Event?
- Leading industry professional speakers
- Ideal for exam preparation
- Industry advice on future career opportunities
- Linking the curriculum with the real world
- Build confidence & experience
- Student workbook
- Certificate of attendance
- Fun at Disneyland® Paris
Download a Science LIVE! fact sheet
LIVE! Student Events
Inspire their future career with an immersive student event. View our full range here
Science LIVE! Student Event at Disneyland® Paris
Show your students science in action at our Science LIVE! Conference on Monday 4th March 2019. Learners get the opportunity to come face to face with speakers who are specialists in their field at our Science LIVE! conference - all whilst enjoying the magic of Disneyland® Paris!
Our expert speakers are selected to meet the learning objectives of the Science curriculum at KS4 and students can put their own questions to our experts during a Q&A session. As part of this immersive science event students take part in park challenges covering the fundamentals of Science at KS4.
Meeting your learning objectives - Science LIVE! is designed to meet course aims by encouraging students to develop their curiosity about the world around them, giving them insight into how science works, and appreciation of its relevance to their everyday lives. Learn more about our full range of LIVE! events here, or view the rest of our available school science trips.
Price Shown includes
2 nights' B&B accommodation, plus 1 night overnight by coach
Return travel by executive coach
2 Day Park Ticket
Attendance at the 2019 Science LIVE! Conference
Curriculum-linked workbook for students
Group Leader’s conference pack
1:10 free place ratio for staff on a twin room basis
Extensive group travel insurance
Services of the Events Team in Disneyland® Paris throughout your stay
Price shown is based on 40 paying passengers departing from selected departure points.
Expert speaker presentations - through real life experiences our speakers will give students the chance to hear how science progresses through hypothesis, practical experimentation, observation, theory development and review.
Q&A session - an interactive question and answer session to support an understanding of the nature, processes and methods of science and help students answer scientific questions about the world around them.
Team park challenges - challenges encourage students to apply observational, practical, enquiry and problem-solving skills, in a new and unique learning environment.
The Events Team in Disneyland® Paris will provide support throughout your stay , they’ll:
- Meet you on arrival & assist with hotel check-in
- Be on-hand & provide assistance throughout the event
- Host a drinks reception on the Sunday evening
- Register your students at the conference & take questions
- Assist with check-out & departure
Confirmed speakers 2019
David Wilson, The Walt Disney Company Imagineer
David has managed the development of various attractions, both with Disney and Universal. David has also been responsible for various projects at Disneyland Paris Resort, including “Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster starring Aerosmith”, “Moteurs… Action ! Stunt Show Spectacular”, "Armageddon" special effects show, "Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast", "Crush's Coaster®", "The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror" , “Toy Story Playland” and most recently Ratatouille.
David Wilson came to the Entertainment business in 1991 after serving 6 years in the US Navy as a nuclear engineering officer, followed by a year as a Project Engineer working on the Space Shuttle with NASA.
Steve Mould, Facilitator
Steve Mould is a Science Presenter with a reputation for providing expert knowledge and for packaging complicated scientific ideas in an accessible way.
Formerly the Blue Peter resident Science expert, he is best recognised as a regular contributor on The One Show. Steve has a Physics MA from Oxford University and works frequently with schools, giving talks and demonstrations on Physics, Maths, Chemistry and Psychology. He is adept at presenting science using comedy, music and interactive experiments and will make an excellent chair at our Live! event.
Dr Andrew Szydlo, Chemist
Dr Andrew Szydlo is a renowned chemist and teacher and is proof, if it were needed that science is far from dull. He has given talks and demonstrations at the Royal Institution, for The Lost Lectures, at the Secret Garden Party Festival, as well as several TV appearances.
His public demonstration lectures are theatrical and spectacular, he often disappears in a huge cloud of smoke, swings teapots of liquid nitrogen high above his head, and creates large explosions. The message however is a more serious one, to explain how useful science can be in everyday life. "My message is, that people can do more with science than they realise. In today's society everyone takes things for granted, and they are used to an easy life, but understanding how things work is very important".
We will be working with Dr Szydlo to pre-film a series of demonstrations that he will use as a part of his presentation on fireworks and special effects.
Package options & sample itineraries
3 night overnight coach package - includes 2 day park ticket
Saturday 2 March - Tuesday 5 March 2019
Saturday: Late evening departure. Night time channel crossing
Sunday: Morning arrival at Disneyland® Paris. Day free to use your Disneyland® Pass. Overnight at Disneyland® Paris
Monday: LIVE! Conference, free time in park. Overnight at Disneyland® Paris.
Tuesday: Return coach travel.
3 night coach package - includes 2 day park ticket
Sunday 3 March - Wednesday 6 March 2019
Sunday: Morning departure for Disneyland® Paris, overnight at Disneyland® Paris
Monday: LIVE! Conference, free time in park. Overnight at Disneyland® Paris
Tuesday: Day trip to Paris. Overnight at Disneyland® Paris
Wednesday: Morning free in the Park. Return coach travel.
2 night Eurostar package - includes 2 day park ticket
Sunday 3 March - Tuesday 5 March 2019
Sunday: Afternoon departure from St Pancras International. Overnight at Disneyland® Paris.
Monday: LIVE! Conference, free time in Park. Overnight at Disneyland® Paris.
Tuesday: Free time to use your Disneyland® Pass. Early afternoon departure. Arrive back in London early evening.
- Explore the parks: Disneyland® Park & Walt Disney Studios® Park
- Shopping in the Disney Village®
- Buffalo Bill’s Wild West Show
- Disney Illuminations Night Time Show
- Gaumont Cinema
- Evening meal experience at Planet Hollywood or Billy Bob’s Country Western Saloon
Ride Design & Animatronics
• Key factors & considerations of ride & roller coaster design & maintenance including changes in energy, forces & motion
• Types of materials used & how these have changed over time
• Systems approach to designing rides. The use of electricity & circuits to produce inputs & outputs such as light sensors & sound buzzers etc
Science in Action
• Discover how chemistry plays a vital role at Disneyland® Paris in ride special effects, shows & firework displays
• Chemical reactions – how these manipulate the colours seen in the pyrotechnic displays
• The forms of energy released – sound, light & heat
Senses, Illusion & Virtual Reality
• Consider how Disney create an immersive experience & trick your sense receptors through the use of smells, lights & special effects
• Explore visual imagery; the power of sound, taste & smell sensations
Suitable for Key Stage 4 - meeting exam board specifications for AQA, OCR, EDEXCEL, WJEC & SQA.
In order to help you prepare for the Science LIVE! Event, you will receive supplementary information about how each speaker will link to the curriculum as well as a list of desired outcomes. This can be used to follow up with your students when you return.
Giving you full support throughout
Before your tour
- Your own dedicated NST contact
- Bespoke tour itineraries
- Unrivalled local knowledge & expertise
- Curriculum linked visit programmes
- Great value for money - no hidden costs
- Free group leader inspection visits
- Risk assessment guidance
- Safety assured, transport, accommodation and visits
Whilst you're away
- Free educational resources
- Group-friendly accommodation
- Exceptional standards of coaching
- On-tour support from our reps on the ground
- Support & assistance from our specialists guides throughout your tour
- 24/7 support just a call away
- Extensive group travel insurance
On your return
- Priority rebooking services
- Rewarding your loyalty with our reward scheme
- You say, we listen - we're committed to continuously improving our tours
- School travel company of choice since 1967