Extra savings on long haul school trips!
We've increased our savings on long haul trips to £30pp
Book by the end of Oct to take advantage of this great saving!
Enjoy our loyalty reward
Save £5pp from your first consecutive year of travel onwards. Click here for more information.
Washington DC History School Trips & Tours - Political History
The US capital city is home to many excellent museums, educational visits and sites to give your pupils an invaluable insight into American history and how the country has evolved.
Washington DC is a great place for your pupils to learn about American politics. Take a history school trip to the capital city to give your pupils access to politics and history in action. When you book your study tour with NST, we'll arrange for your group to take a variety of walking tours with local guides, as well as other fascinating historical and educational visits, ensuring that your group get the very most from their experience.
Alternatively, view the rest of our school trips to the USA.
Price Shown includes
- 3 nights’ room only accommodation
- Return flights and overseas airport transfers
- Extensive group travel insurance
- 1 in 10 free place ratio
Price shown is based on 30 paying passengers departing from a London airport in February 2020 and is subject to availability.
On-tour support includes...
- Airport assistance during check-in, security and gate checks on your outbound flight from the UK
- Airport assistance when you arrive back at your UK airport when you book a coach transfer to take you home
Additional on-tour support available...
- Pre-booked meals at great group prices
- Services of a Local Guide
Walking Tour - Political Sites
Half day tour with a local guide covering externally all the major government buildings:
- Pennsylvania Avenue
- The US Capitol (the Senate, House of Representatives, Supreme Court, Library of Congress)
- The Mall
- George Washington Monument
Walking Tour - Historical Sites
Half day tour with a local guide covering all the major historical sites and monuments:
- Jefferson Memorial
- FDR Memorial
- Korean War Veterans Memorial
- Arlington National Cemetery
- Lincoln Memorial
- Vietnam Memorial
- WWII Memorial
- The White House (exterior)
US Holocaust Memorial Museum
Explaining the story of the Holocaust in a uniquely and immensely thought provoking manner, students will never forget a visit to this museum.
Arlington National Cemetery
The history of this cemetery, the largest military graveyard in the world reflects the conflicts and struggles faced by the American people. Graves here include those from the Civil War, and both World Wars and the eternal flame burning by the grave of JFK.
National Museum of American History
Traces the country’s development in an entertaining and fairly lighthearted manner.
Lincoln Memorial Steps
Stand on the site of Martin Luther King’s famous ‘I Have a Dream’ speech during the defining moment of the Civil Rights Movement in America.
This park traces 12 years of the history of the US using a sequence of outdoor rooms; one for each of Roosevelt’s terms of office. Sculptures and murals depict scenes from the Depression enabling you to stand in the ‘Breadline’.
The headquarters of the Department of Defense is one of the world’s largest office buildings. It is possible for groups to have a guided tour around the building which covers highlights of significant moments in history. Tours must be booked direct by the group via your local MP.
The National Archives
Displays the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and the Declaration of Independence. Visits to the Public Vaults display original records and new interactive exhibits that allow you to touch and explore interesting documents. Key topics that can be studied here are Civil War, Civil Rights, Cold War, McCarthyism.
National Air & Space Museum
Discover the history of America’s aeronautical industry, from the Wright Brothers’ first flyer in 1903, to the Apollo 11 command module. An ideal visit to cover the Cold War and the Space Race.
An ideal visit en route to the airport, from the Mansion House to the Slave Quarters the plantation home of George Washington gives you the opportunity to see how the first President of the United States lived.
America’s national educational facility with 19 museums including:
- National Museum of Natural History
- National Portrait Gallery.
The Smithsonian Institute museums are free.
Enjoy a self-guided tour of the Ford’s Theatre Museum - explore Lincoln's presidency from his arrival in Washington to the very minute he arrived at Ford's Theatre on the fateful night of April 14, 1865. You will see rare artefacts related to the assassination.
National Museum of African American History and Culture
The National Museum of African American History and Culture is the only national museum devoted exclusively to the documentation of African American life, history, and culture. To date, the Museum has collected more than 36,000 artefacts and is the 19th museum of the Smithsonian Institution.
· The USA during the ‘Roaring Twenties
· Impact of WWII on the USA
· The Civil Rights movement
· US conflict with Vietnam
· The start of the Cold War
· Superpower relations
· Role of the USA in bringing about the end of the Cold War and opposition to the war
We can arrange for your group to fly from a range of UK airports and we’ll work with you to plan your route at the best value possible.
Giving you full support throughout
Before your tour
- Your own dedicated NST contact
- Bespoke tour itineraries
- Unrivalled local knowledge & expertise
- Curriculum linked visit programmes
- Great value for money - no hidden costs
- Free group leader inspection visits
- Risk assessment guidance
- Safety assured, transport, accommodation and visits
Whilst you're away
- Free educational resources
- Group-friendly accommodation
- Exceptional standards of coaching
- On-tour support from our reps on the ground
- Support & assistance from our specialists guides throughout your tour
- 24/7 support just a call away
- Extensive group travel insurance
On your return
- Priority rebooking services
- Rewarding your loyalty with our reward scheme
- You say, we listen - we're committed to continuously improving our tours
- School travel company of choice since 1967