Beat the rush & start planning your next school trip today!
Book by the end of Oct & SAVE £10 per person on tours to the UK & Europe.
Enjoy our loyalty reward
Save £5pp from your first consecutive year of travel onwards. Click here for more information.
Free inspection visit
Qualify for a 2 night complimentary stay for 2 people in your chosen destination. Find out more.
Stratford English, Drama & Performing Arts School Trips & Tours
Explore the historic world that shaped Shakespeare’s life and works and enjoy a range of English educational visits, including an RSC production and theatre workshop, on an NST English school tour.
An English school trip to Stratford-upon-Avon, where famous playwright William Shakespeare was born and lived, is guaranteed to inspire your pupils. Of all the educational visits on offer in Stratford, an RSC production at the intimate Swan Theatre undoubtedly gives pupils an educational experience that is invaluable to their studies as they see the works they have been studying brought to life on stage. Plus, we’ll arrange every aspect of your Stratford Shakespeare school trip, so you don’t have to.
Price Shown includes
- 1 night’s B&B accommodation
- Executive coach transport from and to school and throughout your stay
- Group travel insurance
- 1 in 8 free place ratio
Price shown is based on 40 paying passengers departing from selected departure points in November 2019 and is subject to availability.
On-tour support available...
- Priority booking service for RSC productions
- Pre-booked meals at great group prices
Top visits in Stratford
Royal Shakespeare Company Production
Located on the bank of the River Avon in Shakespeare’s home town, the Royal Shakespeare Company welcomes school groups to experience world renowned productions every day. Furthermore, as there is a requirement in the curriculum for students to study two Shakespeare plays, this is a perfect opportunity to introduce your group to various Shakespeare texts.
SUMMER SEASON 2020
ROYAL SHAKESPEARE THEATRE
A season of Shakespeare plays exploring separation, loss and the deep bonds of family will play in the Royal Shakespeare Theatre for Summer 2020.
• The Winter’s Tale - Set across a 16-year span from Mad Men to the moon landings, Director Erica Whyman imagines a world where the ghosts of fascist Europe collide with horrors of The Handmaid’s Tale, before washing up on a joyful seashore. 28 MAR - 2 OCT 2020
• The Comedy of Errors - A fairytale farce of everyday miracles, mistaken identity and double vision, directed by comedy master Phillip Breen, with Miles Jupp as Antipholus of Syracuse. 25 APR - 3 OCT 2020
• Pericles - Blanche McIntyre returns to direct Shakespeare’s touching and hopeful tale of loss and reconciliation, located in a familiar world of precarious journeys and treacherous alliances. 15 AUG - 1 OCT 2020
PROJEKT EUROPA AND THE SWAN THEATRE
Meanwhile in the Swan Theatre we are presenting two new plays and reworking an Ibsen classic as part of our project to explore, celebrate and interrogate our relationship to Europe. As well as events and debate that delve deeper into the subconscious of Europe, Projekt Europa will include:
• Europeana - a breathless race through the chaotic kaleidoscope of 20th century history, from the book by Patrik Ouředník. Adapted by Maria Åberg and Judith Gerstenberg. Directed by Maria Åberg. 9 APR - 25 JUL 2020
• Peer Gynt - Acclaimed Swiss director Barbara Frey reimagines Ibsen’s epic European myth for the 21st century. 1 MAY - 23 SEP 2020
• Blindness and Seeing - One afternoon, a city’s inhabitants are suddenly overcome by an epidemic of blindness in this poetic and evocative vision for the future by Nobel Prize winning Portuguese novelist José Saramago, directed by Tiago Rodrigues. 1 AUG - 26 SEP 2020
At the YHA Stratford, we can provide popular curriculum-linked workshops such as ‘An Introduction to Shakespeare’, ‘Circus and Clowning’, ‘Improvisation’, ‘Playwriting’, and ‘An Inspector Calls’. Course content can be tailored to meet the needs of your group.
The 36-metre high tower offers an iconic landmark for the RSC theatres whilst providing fantastic views of Shakespeare’s home town. A lift will take you to the 32-metre high viewing platform. As you descend you will find an exhibition installed on the walls and in the alcoves.
Shakespeare Properties Sessions
Put the spotlight on Shakespeare with an interactive talk that aids the discussion of language use, exploration of literary and historical context, and the discovery of characterisation and stagecraft. Choose from a range of plays for comparison and link your workshop to suit your students’ needs.
Go behind-the-scenes to discover more about the theatre-making process. Starting in the foyer, these guided tours explore the public and private areas of the theatre. Learn about the history of the RSC, the theatres and the recent transformation. Theatre tours last up to one hour.
Step back in time and experience a slice of what it was like to lead a Tudor life. Put your feet up in a four-poster bed, see what it would have been like to sit at an Elizabethan dining table and imagine ruling the land by taking your seat on a throne.
Take an award-winning guided walk around the historic streets and explore Stratford, its history, attractions and fascinating relationship with Shakespeare. Hear informative and interesting stories of fires, flooding, the plague and mediaeval cures!
Shakespeare Birthplace Trust
Take a guided visit of up to five of Shakespeare’s properties. Each one offers a unique opportunity to gain an insight into the life and times of William Shakespeare. Your guide will assist your students in forming a picture of Shakespeare’s life and introduce them to the influences on his work. Options include:
- Shakespeare’s Birthplace – This is where it all began. William Shakespeare was born and grew up in this house.
- Anne Hathaway’s Cottage – Discover the family home of Shakespeare’s wife with its beautiful cottage gardens.
- Shakespeare’s Church – Complete the story in Stratford with a visit to Shakespeare’s grave at Holy Trinity Church to see his memorial.
- Shakespeare's New Place – Walk in the Playwright's footsteps, explore a dramatic landscape and meet the man behind the famous works.
Stratford Ghost Walk
On an award winning ghost walk, your group will meander around the streets of Stratford and discover terrible tales and sinister stories of ghosts, witches, murder and misery.
Tailored to meet your learning objectives, these half or full day workshops provide students with either a first introduction to, or a deeper study of a chosen plays language, characters and themes. Each workshop is led by RSC Education Associate Practitioners all of whom have first-hand experience of RSC rehearsal room practice, working either as actors, directors or theatre education specialists.
For upper primary groups, our workshops are designed to explore language, character and themes and include the development of written outcomes.
RSC - The Play's The Thing Exhibition
Take a magical journey through 100 years of theatre-making in Stratford-upon-Avon with our new permanent exhibition "The Play's The Thing". Discover rarely-seen treasures from our museum and archive: exquisite costumes, amazing model-boxes and weird and wonderful props. Get hands-on and celebrate the creativity behind the scenes; discover the inspiration behind some of our most acclaimed shows, play Hamlet alongside actor Ewart James Walters, using state-of-the-art gaming technology, try on virtual costumes from our collection and take a photo, dress up in the dressing room and take part in the Quick Change Challenge and many more.
The MAD (Mechanical Art and Design) Museum
The MAD (Mechanical Art and Design) Museum is the only specialist attraction of its kind in the UK. Based in the centre of Stratford upon Avon, the museum showcases the world’s finest pieces of Kinetic Art and Automata belonging to pioneering artists from all over the globe.
Marble machines, giant clapping hands, water clocks, laser lights, 3D faces and much more! As well as being highly interactive and a lot of fun, The MAD Museum appeals to those with curious and methodical brains too. Figure out how the gears, sprockets, robotics and eccentric paraphernalia all engage with one another at the press of a button.
Artistically every piece displayed in The MAD Museum has been handcrafted with adoration, remarkable skill and precision. This is where art meets movement (sometimes operating to achieve a function but most of the time, just moving for the fun of it!) Best described as a mixture of Heath Robinson, Wallace and Gromit and Scrapheap Challenge, The MAD Museum is a fantastic playground for adults and a perfect hideout for inquisitive kids – experience the imagination of marvellous minds.
- Royal Shakespeare Company Production
- ...and much more!
Available from any location in the UK, our executive coaches are fitted with seatbelts, toilet facilities, air conditioning, DVD and reclining seats.
Rail is a convenient travel option for small groups, with ideal for connections to Eurostar, major airports and travel to many city destinations.
Giving you full support throughout
Before your tour
- Your own dedicated NST contact
- Bespoke tour itineraries
- Unrivalled local knowledge & expertise
- Curriculum linked visit programmes
- Great value for money - no hidden costs
- Free group leader inspection visits
- Risk assessment guidance
- Safety assured, transport, accommodation and visits
Whilst you're away
- Free educational resources
- Group-friendly accommodation
- Exceptional standards of coaching
- On-tour support from our reps on the ground
- Support & assistance from our specialists guides throughout your tour
- 24/7 support just a call away
- Extensive group travel insurance
On your return
- Priority rebooking services
- Rewarding your loyalty with our reward scheme
- You say, we listen - we're committed to continuously improving our tours
- School travel company of choice since 1967
“Our trip to Stratford was excellent. Our theatre workshop was excellent and the teacher was great with the kids. The hotel was lovely and in a perfect location and our coach drivers were very pleasant and helpful. We feel we got excellent value for money.”
Nicola Boardman, Speyside High School