Gdansk History School Trips & Tours
For A-Level groups (and GCSE groups studying the OCR GCSE depth study ‘Poland 1956-1990: The People and the State’), Gdansk provides an ideal destination. A city where a study of recent events will help pupils to understand the realities of life in a communist state and to follow the ideological and physical struggles that led to the collapse of communism in Central Europe.
Price Shown includes
- 3 nights’ B&B accommodation
- Return flights and overseas airport transfers
- Extensive group travel insurance
- Services of an NST Educationalist Guide
- Visits to World War Two Museum, European Solidarity Center, Meeting with a Solidarity Member and a game of bowling
- 1 in 10 free place ratio
Price shown is based on 35 paying passengers departing from a London airport in February 2020 and is subject to availability.
On-tour support includes...
- Pre-booked meals at great group prices
- Services of an NST History Educationalist Guide
Guided walking tour of the city covering the end of WWII and the Communist state in Poland
Exclusive to NST
Your Educationalist Guide will take you on a walking tour around the city to cover key historic events and themes.
World War II Museum
Understand origins of the Cold War at this museum that presents the Polish experience of the war and its aftermath.
European Solidarity Center
Features the “Roads to Freedom” exhibition. Located in the Gdansk shipyards where Lech Wałęsa led the 1979 strike that led to the birth of Solidarity.
Meeting with a Solidarity Member or strike participant
Groups have the invaluable opportunity to meet with a Solidarity member or strike participant, and gain first hand insight into life under communist rule.
Study points - The tour will concentrate on Poland 1956 to 1990 including;
- 1956 demonstrations
- 1970 Baltic Coast strikes and their suppression
- the 1970's - Poland under Gierek
- the role of the Catholic Church, the inauguration of John Paul II, the 1979 Papal visit
- 1980 Gdansk shipyard strike and the rise of Solidarity - its political aims and achievements
- Imposition of Martial Law, suppression of Solidarity
- 1980's - Poland under Jaruselski - Solidarity underground, Walensa's Nobel Prize, murder of Jerzy Popielusko
- 1989 - Round Table talks, constitutional change
- 1990 Walensa as President
Topics that can also be covered include;
- The Treaty of Versailles, Danzig and the Polish Corridor
- Free City of Danzig, the rise of Nazism in the city in the 30's, Danzig's status as a German grievance under Hitler
- The City in WWII - the first shots of the war
- Danzig and the Holocaust
- German Danzig to Polish Gdansk - changing borders and populations in post war Europe - the political aims of the Soviet Union
We can arrange for your group to fly from a range of UK airports and we’ll work with you to plan your route at the best value possible.
Giving you full support throughout
Before your tour
- Your own dedicated NST contact
- Bespoke tour itineraries
- Unrivalled local knowledge & expertise
- Curriculum linked visit programmes
- Great value for money - no hidden costs
- Free group leader inspection visits
- Risk assessment guidance
- Safety assured, transport, accommodation and visits
Whilst you're away
- Free educational resources
- Group-friendly accommodation
- Exceptional standards of coaching
- On-tour support from our reps on the ground
- Support & assistance from our specialists guides throughout your tour
- 24/7 support just a call away
- Extensive group travel insurance
On your return
- Priority rebooking services
- Rewarding your loyalty with our reward scheme
- You say, we listen - we're committed to continuously improving our tours
- School travel company of choice since 1967
on European trips
Enjoy our loyalty reward
Save £5pp from your first consecutive year of travel onwards. Click here for more information.
Free inspection visit
Qualify for a 2 night complimentary stay for 2 people in your chosen destination. Find out more.