Computing LIVE! Student Event - Liddington, Swindon
New for 2021! We’re bringing Computing LIVE! to the UK taking place at our activity centre in Liddington.
Computing LIVE! UK combines a conference led by expert speakers, workshops & talks, team-based challenges and outdoor adventure activities. See our great value 3-day itinerary below.
This three-day weekend event is designed to bring computer science to life for your students and fire their future career ambitions whilst also improving their ability to work together as a team, improve self-confidence, develop resilience and learn new skills.
Computing LIVE! UK brings together the best possible learning experience for your students in a fun, memorable and safe environment. We are pleased to advise that our centres are operating under COVID-secure guidelines and all appropriate measures are in place.
2021 event dates:
Friday 26th - 28th February
Friday 9th - 11th April
Friday 29th - 31st October
Price Shown includes
- Return travel by executive coach
- 2 nights' full-board accommodation
- Entrance to the Computing LIVE! student event
- Workshop & talk
- Team-based challenges
- Outdoor adventure activities
- Group travel insurance
- On-site support from the Events Team throughout your stay
- 1:10 free place ratio based on teachers sharing twin rooms
Price shown is based on 40 paying passengers departing from selected departure points.
- Conference led by industry experts
Experts from high profile organisations will provide relevant examples and exam case studies to ignite your students’ aspirations whilst perfectly complementing the computer science curriculum at KS4 and KS5. Students can also put their own questions to the experts during a Q&A session.
- Workshops & talks
Small group sessions, led by our conference speakers & other experts in their field, will allow your students to discover and engage with a range of topics from social enterprise projects to impact of psychological resilience.
- Team-based challenges
Selected to enable your students to demonstrate control, commitment, confidence and responses to challenge. Team challenge themes include; gaining confidence, beyond the comfort zone & working together.
- Outdoor adventure activities
Adventure activities to keep everyone engaged, motivated and inspired, from zip wire to the trapeze!
- Our on-site Events Team will provide support throughout your stay, they’ll:
Meet you on arrival & assist with centre check-in
Be on-hand & provide assistance throughout the weekend
Assist with check-out & departure
Confirmed speakers for 2021 so far...
Suzie Imber is an Associate Professor of Planetary Science at the University of Leicester. She specialises in studying space weather; understanding the impact of the solar wind on the magnetised planets, in particular the Earth and Mercury.
Suzie is a Co-Investigator on the X-ray spectrometer on board the joint ESA/JAXA BepiColombo spacecraft currently en route to Mercury, and due to arrive in 2025.
She was also the winner of the recent BBC 2 series entitled ‘Astronauts: Do You Have What it Takes?’ during which twelve candidates were put through astronaut training with NASA astronaut Chris Hadfield. She endured challenges such as taking her own blood, speaking Russian while in a centrifuge at 5g and carrying out emergency procedures on the NASA undersea astronaut training facility, Aquarius. Suzie will receive a letter of recommendation from Chris Hadfield to support her application to the European Space Agency astronaut training programme.
Suzie was recently selected as one of 80 women from all over the world for a specialised leadership programme known as Homeward Bound. It's a year-long, international programme designed to bring together a cohort of scientists and policy makers that will collaborate to seek solutions to climate change, engage with governments, and become the visible leaders of the future.
She was also an England U21 lacrosse player, an elite rower, and is now a high altitude mountaineer. She has written computer code to automatically identify mountains in South America, and found hundreds of mountains that had never been identified before. She sets off to scale these incredibly remote, unclimbed mountains, exploring new regions of our planet and even discovering Incan ruins on the summits.
Dr Jessica Barker
Dr Jessica Barker is an award-winning global leader in the human side of cyber security. She is Co-Founder and co-CEO of Cygenta, where she follows her passion of positively influencing cyber security awareness, behaviour and culture in organisations around the world. She has delivered face-to-face cyber security awareness sessions to over 35,000 people in 23 countries.
Jessica has been named one of the top 20 most influential women in cyber security in the UK and is the Chair of ClubCISO. She is a popular keynote speaker, including keynoting RSA San Francisco in 2020. Jessica is the go-to cyber security expert for many media outlets, appearing on BBC News, Sky News, Channel 4 News, BBC radio and much more. In September 2020, Jessica’s book Confident Cyber Security was published by Kogan Page and immediately became an Amazon best-seller.
UK LIVE! - Friday
- Travel by coach from school, arrive at Liddington
- Evening meal
- Team-based activity
UK LIVE! - Saturday
- Attend our LIVE! student conference
- Return to centre & enjoy lunch
- High energy outdoor activity to keep everyone engaged
- Workshop & talk led by one of our conference speakers
- Evening meal
- Time for students to relax & reflect on the day
UK LIVE! - Sunday
- Outdoor adventure activity for an invigorating start to the day
- Team-based challenge followed by lunch
- Check out & return to school
Study themes & levels
Suitable for Key Stage 4 & 5, meeting exam board specifications for AQA, OCR, EDEXCEL, WJEC and SQA.
Topics from across the Computer Science curriculum brought to life at our event include:
- Programming & coding
- Computer systems
- Cyber security
- Software development
The whole experience perfectly complements classroom learning.
Giving you full support throughout
Before your tour
- Your own dedicated NST contact
- Bespoke tour itineraries
- Unrivalled local knowledge & expertise
- Curriculum linked visit programmes
- Great value for money - no hidden costs
- Free group leader inspection visits
- Risk assessment guidance
- Safety assured, transport, accommodation and visits
Whilst you're away
- Free educational resources
- Group-friendly accommodation
- Exceptional standards of coaching
- On-tour support from our reps on the ground
- Support & assistance from our specialists guides throughout your tour
- 24/7 support just a call away
- Extensive group travel insurance
On your return
- Priority rebooking services
- Rewarding your loyalty with our reward scheme
- You say, we listen - we're committed to continuously improving our tours
- School travel company of choice since 1967