Search for jobs
Work with us as a History Guide Lecturer
Our History Guide Lecturers have a passion for the past, and share their enthusiasm and knowledge to help students and teachers to get the most out of their time away from the classroom.
Visiting destinations including The World War I Battlefields, Amsterdam, Berlin, and Russia to name but a few, our History Guide Lecturers help students to develop specialist knowledge by delivering talks, provide access to artifacts, and leading tours and visits that enlighten and stimulate learning for both Teachers and Students travelling with us.
Becoming a History Guide
Prior to travelling with a group, our History Guide Lecturers liaise with the key customer (the Teacher leading the tour) to understand their group’s key study topics, and ensure that all learning outcomes are met through the planned visits and excursions.
The History Guide Lecturer will take responsibility for leading the tour, and key activities will include;
- Delivering talks and leading discussions with students
- Assisting the Group Leader with the preparation of the itinerary before departure, and assist in any logistics, planning and any itinerary changes during the tour.
- Be hands-on to provide any destination advice and support to ensure an effective tour
- Support and help to resolve minor issues at any point during the tour where required.
Skills / Experience / Qualities
Our Brands each have a reputation for delivering high quality learning outside the classroom experience for students and teachers, and as such, our clients have very high expectations of our History Guide Lecturers.
In order to be considered as a potential History Guide Lecturer for us you will need to be able to demonstrate the following;
- An exceptional, detailed knowledge of WWI, WWII or Central European History
- A detailed knowledge of the National Curriculum Learning Outcomes for History Students up to A Level
- Teaching / Lecturing experience, with the ability to communicate knowledge in an engaging and meaningful way
- A helpful, proactive approach, with good organisational and time management skills.
You will also be able to demonstrate your calm but confident approach to problem solving, and your Customer First Attitude.
As well as their personal qualities, the majority of our History Guide Lecturers are experienced teaching professionals, academics or writers with vast experience in their subject field, with a passion for their subject, and imparting knowledge to others.
Package On Offer
Aside from the opportunity to travel to destinations of historical significance across Europe, our History Guide Lecturers receive the following benefits whilst working with us;
- A comprehensive training programme
- Travel expenses and travel insurance cover whilst on tour
- Meals and accommodation in resort
- Daily “guiding” fee paid on all days associated with your journey (including travel days)
- Branded clothing to suit the conditions of each destination
When will I work?
Our Guided History Tours take place throughout the year, with a significant number of tours taking place during Easter, May-July, and October. Tours take place both during term time, and the breaks between the Spring/Summer and Autumn/Winter terms.
Are there any costs to me?
There is no cost to becoming a History Guide Lecturer, but if you are not already registered as self employed, you will need to ensure that the payments received are reported for Tax and NI purposes.
To be considered, Candidates must have good availability over the key travel periods, and hold the following documentation;
- a current passport,
- an EHiC card or up to date medical insurance cover for overseas travel.
Due to the nature of our operation, any offer to work with us may be conditional on the individual undergoing a DBS disclosure for safeguarding purposes.
Any costs associated with the vetting process will be borne by us.