Since 1967 we've been creating expertly planned school tours - helping groups get more from their time away...
Assessing risk on your next school tour
Risk assessment plays a vitally important part in the planning and organisation on any school tour and is one area we are asked about frequently by our group leaders, especially those organising an educational visit for the first time.
Download our free ‘Risk Assessments Explained’ guide now
Risk Assessments Explained was written in response to the large number of group leaders that seek help with completing their own risk assessments for their NST school tour. The guide aims to help you understand more about your obligations and how you can more effectively manage group safety on your next educational visit.
Risk Assessments Explained is divided into four sections:
- Section 1 – What NST do for you
- What do we cover?
- Our auditor’s check
- Why can’t we do everything for you?
- Section 2 – What you need to do
- What are the basics of risk assessment?
- What are appropriate control measures?
- What is expected of you?
- Section 3 – A practical guide to risk assessment
- Recognise the common building blocks
- Identify general hazards
- Identify group specific hazards
- Decide on control measures
- Create a back-up plan
- Safety management ‘on the ground’
- Section 4 – Further advice, permissions & training
Whilst we hope our free guide illustrates some common basic principles and how they can be effectively used to benefit your own study tour Group Management Plans, we advise that you should always recognise the importance of referring to your employer’s guidelines.
The Government regularly updates its website with useful information on best practice regarding the Health & Safety of Pupils on Educational Visits (HASPEV). Visit the Department for Education website here and take a look around, or refer to your own Local Authority for further guidance.
You might also want to take a look at our Travel Tips page too, for some handy hints that other teachers have found useful.
To be sure you’re getting exactly the right tour before you travel, you’ll qualify for a two night complimentary stay for two people in your chosen destination. You’ll be able to:
- Conduct valuable risk assessments
- Try out your chosen accommodation and visit other accommodation options
- Familiarise yourself with your destination, including the public transport if required
- Assess different study tour opportunities
- Check out local attractions and excursion options
- Check out suitable places to eat with your group
- Look at evening entertainment options
- Review the service and arrangements offered by NST
Please note: Preview visit terms and conditions apply and visits are subject to travel dates and availability. Please contact NST for more details.